• Composed of water-soluble tetrazolium salt
• Shorter response time, higher sensitivity than MTT and XTT assay
• Applicable to all types of cells
• Safe counting of cells without radioactive isotopes
• Reliable results for cell lines with low cell numbers or low sensitivity
• No additional work is required, including the use of separate reagents or removal of media
• Simultaneously available to do measurement and semi-automation of absorbance using ELISA reader
• After the assay, further experiments can be conducted
The WST-1 Cell Proliferation Assay Kit is a system that can easily measure the ratio of living cells to drugs. It provides more convenient than MTT and XTT assay using soluble tetrazolium salt. The tetrazolium salt (WST-1) added to the medium is converted to the formazan dye by mitochondrial oxidoreductase which is active only in living cells. When WST-1 is converted to formazan pigment, the color of the medium changes to yellow, and this color difference is used to see effects such as cell proliferation and cytotoxicity. The result is measured using an ELISA reader and can be determined by the difference in the absorbance values measured at wavelengths of 450nm and 660nm, respectively. WST-1 analysis using fluorescent markers provides a solution to identify multiple cell samples quickly and easily.
Fig 1. Comparison of the cytotoxic activity (Triton X-100 on Vero cell) using by WST-1 Assay Kit with competitor.
Fig 2. Comparison of the cytotoxic activity (Triton X-100 on EL-4 cell) using by WST-1 Assay Kit with competitor.
The results showed that WST-1 Cell Proliferation Assay Kit could be applied to all types of cells, adherent and suspension cells. And it showed superior performance compared to other products, proved experiment with Vero cell and EL-4 cell.